Sunday, February 1, 2009

Our Hollywood Florida Trip

Well, it is Sunday night and we are back from Florida. We had a really good time!! But we are glad to be home. Johnny and the dogs are glad we are home.

We had to leave our house by 3:00 a.m. (I'm not a morning person). Had no problems getting to the airport 2 hours early. That early in the a.m. there is no outside check-in so had to wait in a long line inside and the inside check-in doesn't open until 4:30 (could have slept another 1/2 hour). Made it through all security check points just fine.
After boarding the plane and the pilot starts backing out of the gate, a warning light comes on. The pilot says it is a hydraulic warning light and it is going to be checked out, should only take about fifteen minutes. He then comes back and says it is a computer problem and only needs to be reset. Shouldn't take long and we will be on our way. Then comes back and tells us that the mechanic doesn't like something that he sees and it needs to be repaired, so we sit some more. After a few more minutes they assure us that everything is fine and we leave. We were about an hour later getting to Miami.
The rest of the day was ours to do what we wanted. We walked along the beach and rested for a while in our room (I also have cold and coughed a lot).
That evening there was a welcome reception with "The Swamp" as the theme. Lots of food and drink and a live band that played a real genre of music.

Friday was a day of leisure. We spent our day sitting and watching the ocean waves, walking on the boardwalk and doing some souvenir shopping.
That evening we had a global leader speak to us, we didn't know until at dinner on Thursday night that it would be Bill Clinton. He addressed the group and answered some questions for about an hour. He spoke on the economy. He was very uplifting, saying things will get better. People need to figure out the how and what we can all do to help.

This was our day to take a tour, our choice was Art Deco in the Fabled Playground. Were given a history of early Miami and the development. We went to the first hotel built in Miami. Nothing fancy. It is now a restaurant.
We continued to a couple of old hotels and toured some of their art deco characteristics. Also, went to Johnny Versace's house, where he was shot. It is now a hotel. Did some shopping and ate lunch on Espaniola Way.

That evening had a delicious dinner of swordfish and filet. American Idol winners David Archuleta and David Cook were our entertainment for the night.

We left our hotel at 7:00a.m. to start home. For some reason we had to fly to Dallas then on to St. Louis. There was just enough time to get from one gate to another to come home.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Debbie, I'm so jealous that you got to see Bill! I would love to hear him speak sometime. Glad you had a good time!